What separates a great salesperson from a good one?
It’s the same thing for a marketer, copywriter, engineer, lawyer, surgeon, and many others.
They know more.
There are only 3 ways they can know more:
1. They have more experience
2. They seek more knowledge
3. They continuously apply their knowledge
1. The hack to gain more experience at less age is to be more curious and take risks to work at small-scale companies.
The first job I got in 2002 after college was with one of India’s largest IT providers – Infosys.
I left it in 8 months, took a 40% pay cut, and went to work for a 100 person company.
2. The hack to seek more knowledge is to have a growth mindset and devour as many books and training as possible on the subject matter.
I’m an engineer by education, but people get surprised by how much I know about UX Design principles, Sales methodologies, or Copywriting.
All credit goes to reading a lot of books and taking online courses.
3. The hack to apply more knowledge is to try more in your day job but also do side hustles.
The only way I became an SW engineer from an HW engineer, or a product manager from an engineer, or a salesperson from a PM is – my side hustles.
So invest in yourself and know more than others.