My 8-year old daughter has learned to play Chess during this quarantine to keep the screen time under control. 😀
So I’ve been playing Chess with her pretty much every day and realized how similar it is to Selling.
As a Chess player and as a Salesperson, you have to:
1. Think several moves ahead
2. Have a game plan
3. Follow the steps, and not play for a quick win
4. Be flexible with your plan and adjust the course as per new scenarios
5. Learn from others’ game plans and strategies
6. Practice, practice, and more practice with different types of players
7. Play with confident body language
8. Be patient, resilient, and still stay sharp
The only thing that’s different is – in Chess, another person is your opponent.
In Sales, you and prospect are on the same team.
So in Chess, you aim for a win.
In Sales, you aim for a win-win.